Working with young people to take the first steps into employment:
Enable works closely with local colleges in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin to provide individuals with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan or EHCP) with the chance to gain work experience through Supported Internships.
Services available in:
- Telford & Wrekin
This is a year-long course, in which the individual is selected by the college to take part in a work placement that is in line with their interests – giving them the opportunity to take the first step into the life of employment. The supported internship is made up of college attendance and work experience with an employer. This is flexible and can be spread between two and four days. Enable offers guidance and support throughout the placement by communicating directly with the employer and the college.
What is the timetable for a supported Internship?
The timetable is flexible and includes:
- Workplace training supported by a Job Coach
- Maths and English
- Personal and social development
- Vocational sessions
How to be referred to do a Supported Internship
In order to be referred to a Supported Internship by a college participating in the programme, the individual must:
- Be aged 16-24
- Have learning difficulties and/or a disability
- Be a college student – preferably with a good attendance record
- Have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a statement – statements are gradually being phased out – from Sep 2016 you must have an EHCP
- Be enthusiastic motivated to enter employment
Interns must be college students and will work with the employer, Enable and tutors to ensure the best opportunities for successfully gaining paid employment.